Subject: bug#58863: closed (Re: bug#58863: 29.0.50; Newly opened Dired buffers are usually modified)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 13:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58863: 29.0.50; Newly opened Dired buffers are usually modified

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58863: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58863
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58863: 29.0.50; Newly opened Dired buffers are usually modified
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: daanturo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 16:03:33 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 18:01:06 +0700
> From: daanturo <[email-masked]>
> 
> When I open a new Dired buffer without doing anything,
> `buffer-modified-p` usually returns `t`, especially for directories
> under $HOME.
> 
> ```bash
> 
> emacs -Q --eval "(progn
> (find-file \"$(mktemp -d)\")
> (print (buffer-modified-p (current-buffer))))"
> 
> ```
> Observed: Emacs prints `t`
> Expected: Emacs prints `nil`
> 
> Instead of "$(mktemp -d)", "~" is also reproducible, but not "/".
> 
> This looks like a regression of current master that doesn't present on
> Emacs 28.1.

Thanks, fixed.

Subject: 29.0.50; Newly opened Dired buffers are usually modified
From: daanturo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 18:01:06 +0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I open a new Dired buffer without doing anything,
`buffer-modified-p` usually returns `t`, especially for directories
under $HOME.

```bash

emacs -Q --eval "(progn
(find-file \"$(mktemp -d)\")
(print (buffer-modified-p (current-buffer))))"

```
Observed: Emacs prints `t`
Expected: Emacs prints `nil`

Instead of "$(mktemp -d)", "~" is also reproducible, but not "/".

This looks like a regression of current master that doesn't present on
Emacs 28.1.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-09-20 built on
70af63ab8cb74358a721dd6e027251c6
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Container Image)

Configured using:
'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
--with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-gpm=no
--with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json
--with-pgtk --with-native-compilation --enable-link-time-optimization
build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
-fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall
-Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
-grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
fido-vertical-mode: t
icomplete-vertical-mode: t
icomplete-mode: t
fido-mode: t
electric-pair-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp comp-cstr
warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp
byte-compile cconv icomplete cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load
elec-pair rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win
pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 86590 8773)
(symbols 48 8185 0)
(strings 32 21527 2095)
(string-bytes 1 632357)
(vectors 16 15937)
(vector-slots 8 323876 11092)
(floats 8 40 480)
(intervals 56 423 0)
(buffers 1000 11))

-- 
Daanturo.