Subject: 29.0.50; tab-bar-mode doesn't display after display-time-mode with format option

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 00:23:00 -0700

Severity: minor

In emacs -Q:

    0. Evaluate
           (setq tab-bar-format '(tab-bar-format-global))
    1. M-x tab-bar-mode RET
    2. M-x display-time-mode RET

The tab bar is not visible.  I expect that it is, just as when I do
this:

    (progn
       (setq tab-bar-format '(tab-bar-format-global))
       (tab-bar-mode 1)
       (display-time-mode 1))

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-25 built on joffe
Repository revision: 9bfe00dda6b59d9b93eb7a825f6e0868afa1cca3
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB