Subject: bug#58858: closed (Re: bug#58858: Installation script fails on distributions that use busybox)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 21:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58858: Installation script fails on distributions that use busybox

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58858: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58858
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58858: Installation script fails on distributions that use busybox
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: conses <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 16:30:46 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

conses <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Following the instructions in the manual, I attempted to install the
> package manager in Alpine Linux via the official installation
> script. However, after completing the first prompts I got the error
> "mktemp: (null): Invalid argument". Upon closer inspection of the script
> and busybox's `mktemp' help page, which states the following:
>
> TEMPLATE must end with XXXXXX (e.g. [/dir/]nameXXXXXX)
>
> It's clear that the script should be modified to account for this with
> at least 6 "X" characters in the template, and this wouldn't pose a
> problem with GNU's `mktemp' because it takes "at least" 3 of them.

Thanks for the investigation and solution.  Applied in 6aa5d1dc24, which
should now be live at https://guix.gnu.org/install.sh.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: Installation script fails on distributions that use busybox
From: conses <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 22:30:57 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Following the instructions in the manual, I attempted to install the
package manager in Alpine Linux via the official installation
script. However, after completing the first prompts I got the error
"mktemp: (null): Invalid argument". Upon closer inspection of the script
and busybox's `mktemp' help page, which states the following:

TEMPLATE must end with XXXXXX (e.g. [/dir/]nameXXXXXX)

It's clear that the script should be modified to account for this with
at least 6 "X" characters in the template, and this wouldn't pose a
problem with GNU's `mktemp' because it takes "at least" 3 of them.

-- 
Best regards,
conses