Subject: Re: bug#58856: Non-free license CC-BY-ND on GNU ELPA web pages

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 07:51:45 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > On the GNU ELPA/NonGNU ELPA web pages, we are currently using the
  > Creative Commons Noderivatives 4.0 license.  This license is in the
  > footer on all HTML pages on elpa.gnu.org and elpa.nongnu.org, for
  > example here:

  >     https://elpa.gnu.org/

  > However, this license is non-free according to the FSF.[1]

Whether that is a problem depends on what sort of material is in those
pages.

In the GNU Project we use CC-BY-ND for publications that
state our views.  Most articles on www.gnu.org carry CC-BY-ND.

However, for documentation of software, we use free licenses.

Which of those categories do these pages fall in?  (Or are theh in
neither one?)  That is the crucial question here.  If these pages are
software documentation -- that includes brief descriptions of packages
-- then it should have a free license.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)