Subject: bug#58856: Non-free license CC-BY-ND on GNU ELPA web pages

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 07:14:59 -0700

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the GNU Project we use CC-BY-ND for publications that
> state our views.  Most articles on www.gnu.org carry CC-BY-ND.
>
> However, for documentation of software, we use free licenses.
>
> Which of those categories do these pages fall in?  (Or are theh in
> neither one?)  That is the crucial question here.  If these pages are
> software documentation -- that includes brief descriptions of packages
> -- then it should have a free license.

It is software documentation, yes.  Thanks for confirming.  So I
installed the below change in the elpa-admin repository.

Stefan M, could you please update the static web pages too?

diff --git a/elpa-admin.el b/elpa-admin.el
index f8f8fcabb6..c804612516 100644
--- a/elpa-admin.el
+++ b/elpa-admin.el
@@ -1307,7 +1307,7 @@ readme file has an unconventional name"
                 <p>Design provided by <a
href=\"https://nicolas.petton.fr\">Nicolas Petton</a></p>
                 <p>
                   This website is licensed under the
-                  <a
href=\"https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/4.0/\">CC BY-ND
4.0</a>
+                  <a
href=\"https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/\">CC BY-SA
4.0</a>
                   International License.
                 </p>
                 <p><a href=\"/jslicense.html\"
data-jslicense=\"1\">JavaScript Licenses</a></p>