Subject: [bug#58855] [PATCH 0/5] Update mcron to latest commit

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 23:47:16 -0400

Hi,

This update mcrons to its latest commit, which includes these changes:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
5fd0ccd * origin/master tests: Check (mcron vixie-specification)
d1a3e83 * vixie-time: Remove calls to 'pk' debugging facility
19ba0a8 * Lose hope of running against guile 2.2 or earlier.
e2ecb80 * Give mcron --log option to turn logging on.
a7a456c * base: Annotate output with job information.
9e99490 * Revert "Minor cosmetic simplification of case logic after previous patch."
d5c021e * documentation: extensive editing of info manual after a note from Paul Vixie.
99a26e5 * Minor cosmetic simplification of case logic after previous patch.
8b27157 * base: Handle nonexistent user home directories.
271b1f2 * Clarify an error message
172f70e * documentation: Bug fix in a simple example.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The one "base: Annotate output with job information." one gives us better logging capability,
such as when a job is started and when it finishes, and its completion status:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
2022-10-28 22:55:00 5185 duckdns-update: completed in 0.349s
2022-10-28 23:00:00 6547 duckdns-update: running...
2022-10-28 23:00:00 6548 btrbk: running...
2022-10-28 23:00:00 6547 duckdns-update: completed in 0.350s
2022-10-28 23:05:01 7764 duckdns-update: running...
2022-10-28 23:05:01 7764 duckdns-update: completed in 0.417s
2022-10-28 23:10:00 8315 duckdns-update: running...
2022-10-28 23:10:00 8315 duckdns-update: completed in 0.454s
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

We now see the pid, job name and some message about the current status
(running/completed/failed).

I hope you like it!

Maxim Cournoyer (5):
  services: configuration: Re-order generated record fields.
  services: mcron: Add log? and log-format fields to mcron-configuration.
  gnu: mcron: Use gexps and strip trailing #t.
  gnu: Remove guile2.2-mcron.
  gnu: mcron: Update to 1.2.1-0.5fd0ccd.

 doc/guix.texi                  | 45 +++++++++++++----
 gnu/home/services/mcron.scm    | 47 +++++++++++++----
 gnu/packages/guile-xyz.scm     | 92 +++++++++++++++++-----------------
 gnu/services/configuration.scm | 10 ++--
 gnu/services/mcron.scm         | 47 +++++++++++++----
 gnu/services/monitoring.scm    |  4 +-
 6 files changed, 162 insertions(+), 83 deletions(-)

-- 
2.37.3