Subject: bug#58839: [Patch] Re: bug#58839: 29.0.50; project-kill-buffer fails when Eglot is running

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 12:40:41 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Have you considered the converse approach which is to be conservative?
>> It doesn't have these drawbacks.  In your project buffer's bucket put
>> only non-earmuffed, non-hidden, file-visiting buffers automatically.
>> Those are relatively safe.  Then have a buffer-local variable for
>> packages to opt into -- not opt out of -- your scheme.
> I believe I made a similar argument with Dmitry back when project.el
> was added to Emacs.  Dmitry didn't like my suggestion back then, and I
> have doubts that he changed his mind.

I'd just like state, if there was any doubt, that project.el is a
fantastic and long-awaited addition to Emacs.  The design is generally
great and for one it enabled Eglot to integrate very well.  So I am
quite thankful to Dmitry and its maintainer.  The new project-wide
commands (project-find-file, project-switch-to-buffer,
project-kill-buffers) are really very useful, and I'm learning to use
them.  But this point of "which buffers belong to projects" seems off.
Not by a terrible lot, but definitely off the way it is.  This
discussion has revealed some of its flaws.  There's still time to adjust
the design before Emacs 29.

João