Subject: Re: bug#58839: [Patch] Re: bug#58839: 29.0.50; project-kill-buffer fails when Eglot is running

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 03:13:07 +0200

On 01.11.2022 13:36, João Távora wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 10:51 PM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>  > I suggest you try it first.
> 
> It works in my test
> 
>  > Disaster, really?
> 
> The reason I came about the Gnus problem was when using it
> to reply to some emails here and trying out the C-x p k and finding out
> all my Gnus buffers were gone.

I have now pushed the proposed fix, as well as an additional change to 
except Gnus modes (not sure it will be enough -- there might be 
background buffers using some modes that don't derive -- but it seems to 
help in my brief testing).

That's not to mark a final decision, but to fix the immediate issues, 
and to remember them in the code.

The question now is how to better handle packages and features that are 
similar to Gnus in that regard. One alternative option would be to add a 
var through which such modes could opt-out (rather than opt-in). It 
seems more likely that we won't have to update 
project-kill-buffer-conditions often then.

A whitelisting approach seems cleaner/safer, though.