Subject: Re: bug#58839: [Patch] Re: bug#58839: 29.0.50; project-kill-buffer fails when Eglot is running

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 08:50:51 +0000

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Not sure.  This started has a report of hidden buffer being incorrectly
>> killed by project.el.  
>
> The issue that was reported was that Eglot/jsonrpc raised an error that
> broke `project-kill-buffer'.  This could have also all been solved by
> wrapping a `with-demoted-errors' around `kill-buffer'.

No.  It couldn't.  The error is there to show you among other things
that the LSP connection isn't being shut down correctly, which is not
something to paper over.  And even if you did paper over the error, you
would break eglot-autoshutdown.  I've explained that at least 3 times
already in the beginning of this discussion.

>> Three people here have suggested an opt-in approach for the true
>> positives.  Now your strategy seems to be "OK: let all these false
>> positives remain nonsensically associated with a project in
>> project-buffers but let's have global databases of exceptions for
>> specific operations, using a (largely redundant) mini-language for
>> buffer-matching".
>
> For the record, I am still not convinced 100% either way.

I just said that becasue you at one point did suggested the
opt-in approach 

  I have to admit that I am more and more inclined to make the list a
  opt-in thing, where  we explicitly mark those major modes that are tied
  to a project.

But of course it's OK to change one's mind back and forth.