Subject: bug#58835: 28.1; try-complete-file-name-partially modifies text before point

From: Anders Munch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 08:35:51 +0000

When hippie-expand uses try-complete-file-name-partially on a partial
path which uses platform standard directory separators, then directory
separators are replaced with posix directory separators throughout the
entire path.

Functions that "expand" or "complete" should not change text before
point.

For example, when expanding
    c:\Documents
it becomes
    c:/Documents and settings/

Expected behaviour: Nothing changed before point, expand to:
    c:\Documents and settings/

Desired behaviour is to respect platform conventions and produce
    c:\Documents and settings\
but I realise that would be too much to ask.

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-04-20 built on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.2130)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: DAN
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs
cl-lib hippie-exp comint ansi-color ring iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify
w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 62376 8924)
 (symbols 48 7619 1)
 (strings 32 22822 1513)
 (string-bytes 1 722817)
 (vectors 16 14919)
 (vector-slots 8 262293 11500)
 (floats 8 24 322)
 (intervals 56 219 0)
 (buffers 992 11))