Subject: feature/tree-sitter doesn't build without tree-sitter

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 14:01:12 -0700

This system does not have tree-sitter installed.  The
feature/tree-sitter branch doesn't seem to build without it.

I ran the following command:

    ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make -k -j8 bootstrap

In the compilation log, I see the following relevant parts, but let me
know if you need anything else:

checking for tree-sitter >= 0.0... no
[...]
  Does Emacs use -ltree-sitter?                           no
[...]
In end of data:
treesit.el:1285:23: Warning: the function ‘treesit-query-expand’ is
not known to be defined.
treesit.el:1226:14: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-check’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:1135:25: Warning: the function
‘treesit-language-available-p’ is not known to be defined.
treesit.el:993:19: Warning: the function ‘treesit-search-forward’ is
not known to be defined.
treesit.el:551:23: Warning: the function ‘treesit-query-language’ is
not known to be defined.
treesit.el:507:24: Warning: the function ‘treesit-query-compile’ is
not known to be defined.
treesit.el:505:17: Warning: the function ‘treesit-compiled-query-p’ is
not known to be defined.
treesit.el:498:18: Warning: the function ‘treesit-query-p’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:308:8: Warning: the function ‘treesit-query-capture’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:298:6: Warning: the function
‘treesit-node-field-name-for-child’ is not known to be defined.
treesit.el:290:24: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-prev-sibling’
is not known to be defined.
treesit.el:284:19: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-child-count’ is
not known to be defined.
treesit.el:252:13: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-end’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:251:13: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-start’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:240:20: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-next-sibling’
is not known to be defined.
treesit.el:226:29: Warning: the function ‘treesit-parser-list’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:209:28: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-parent’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:208:26: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-type’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:198:6: Warning: the function
‘treesit-node-descendant-for-range’ is not known to be defined.
treesit.el:174:32: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-child’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:171:12: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-eq’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:165:26: Warning: the function
‘treesit-node-first-child-for-pos’ is not known to be defined.
treesit.el:137:4: Warning: the function ‘treesit-parser-language’ is
not known to be defined.
treesit.el:133:5: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-parser’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:132:4: Warning: the function ‘treesit-parser-buffer’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:119:4: Warning: the function
‘treesit-parser-included-ranges’ is not known to be defined.
treesit.el:111:12: Warning: the function ‘treesit-parser-p’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:107:4: Warning: the function
‘treesit-parser-set-included-ranges’ is not known to be defined.
treesit.el:90:7: Warning: the function ‘treesit-parser-create’ is not
known to be defined.
treesit.el:89:6: Warning: the function ‘treesit-parser-root-node’ is
not known to be defined.
[...]
In toplevel form:
cedet/semantic/wisent/python.el:30:2: Error: Symbol’s function
definition is void: treesit-query-p
make[4]: *** [Makefile:332: cedet/semantic/wisent/python.elc] Error 1
[...]
In toplevel form:
org/ob-python.el:33:2: Error: Symbol’s function definition is void:
treesit-query-p
make[4]: *** [Makefile:332: org/ob-python.elc] Error 1
[...]
In end of data:
progmodes/python.el:5489:29: Warning: the function
‘treesit-node-parent’ is not known to be defined.
progmodes/python.el:5387:17: Warning: the function
‘treesit-induce-sparse-tree’ is not known to be defined.
progmodes/python.el:5354:33: Warning: the function
‘treesit-node-start’ is not known to be defined.
progmodes/python.el:5350:20: Warning: the function
‘treesit-node-child-by-field-name’ is not known to be defined.
progmodes/python.el:5344:24: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-type’
is not known to be defined.
[...]
In toplevel form:
progmodes/ts-mode.el:29:2: Error: Symbol’s function definition is
void: treesit-query-p
make[4]: *** [Makefile:332: progmodes/ts-mode.elc] Error 1
[...]
In toplevel form:
textmodes/mhtml-mode.el:29:2: Error: Symbol’s function definition is
void: treesit-query-p
make[4]: *** [Makefile:332: textmodes/mhtml-mode.elc] Error 1
[...]
  ELC      progmodes/js.elc

In end of data:
progmodes/js.el:3879:6: Warning: the function ‘treesit-parser-create’
is not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3794:17: Warning: the function
‘treesit-induce-sparse-tree’ is not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3766:30: Warning: the function
‘treesit-search-subtree’ is not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3717:29: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-parent’
is not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3714:25: Warning: the function
‘treesit-node-child-by-field-name’ is not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3699:20: Warning: the function
‘treesit-node-next-sibling’ is not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3696:33: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-end’ is
not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3693:19: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-type’ is
not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3691:17: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-child’ is
not known to be defined.
progmodes/js.el:3412:9: Warning: the function ‘treesit-node-start’ is
not known to be defined.
make[4]: Target 'compile-targets' not remade because of errors.
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp'
make[3]: *** [Makefile:366: compile-main] Error 2
make[3]: Target 'all' not remade because of errors.
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:531: lisp] Error 2
make[2]: Target 'actual-all' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/skangas/wip/emacs'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1253: actual-bootstrap] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/skangas/wip/emacs'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/skangas/wip/emacs'
***
*** "make bootstrap" failed with exit status 2.
[...]
make[1]: *** [Makefile:413: advice-on-failure] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/skangas/wip/emacs'
make: *** [Makefile:1236: bootstrap] Error 2

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-25 built on joffe
Repository revision: 9bfe00dda6b59d9b93eb7a825f6e0868afa1cca3
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid