Subject: bug#58813: [PATCH v2] doc: Document how to use Patman for patches submission.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 06:29:41 +0100

Hi,

Am Dienstag, dem 07.03.2023 um 18:39 +0100 schrieb Simon Tournier:
> I still think this documentation for configuring ’patman’ about
> “Patch management” is helpful.  I think it could be part of the
> manual.  If not for reasons I am missing, at least this documentation
> should be included in the Cookbook.
There are two discussions here:
1. Should we "mandate" the use of patman?
2. Should we describe how to use patman for submitting patches to Guix?
I think most agree with the latter, but disagree with the former. 
Thus, whatever steps you add for the use with patman must be easily
enough replicated by people not using it, or else we risk low adoption
of best practices.

> And from my point of view, if we say that [1,2] fits the manual, then
> this dedicated section about “Patch management” also fits the manual.
> If this dedicated section about “Patch management” also does not fit
> the manual, then [1,2] neither. :-)
> 
> 1: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Documentation>
> 2:
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Using-TeX-and-LaTeX>
I think [2] is distinct here in that it discusses Guix-specific quirks
when using TeX.

Cheers