Subject: Re: bug#58813: [PATCH v2] doc: Document how to use Patman for patches submission.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 18:39:00 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 at 11:46, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> My proposal is to have Patch management using patman as a dedicated section.
>> This way, we keep the submission guidelines simple using good ol'
>> git-send-email.  And by being a dedicated section, it acts as the Perfect
>> Setup: that's a tool very handy for doing the patch management task.

> Based on the other replies gathered so far, it seems there's little
> excitement to learn yet another tool for patch management, so I think
> I'll pursue the '--x-cmd' idea I already wrote about here, which would
> allow integration directly with 'git send-email'.

Well, from my point of view, it is not exclusive. :-)

Let say I do not use the tools ’info’ and ’man’, but the manual has a
section dedicated to it [1].  Let say I am not excited by LaTex/TeX with
Guix, but the manual has a section dedicated to it [2].

And the “Perfect Setup” is about Emacs and links to Magit, other tools
that we could ask.  Maybe I am not excited by them.  Etc.

Anyway.

I still think this documentation for configuring ’patman’ about “Patch
management” is helpful.  I think it could be part of the manual.  If not
for reasons I am missing, at least this documentation should be included
in the Cookbook.

And from my point of view, if we say that [1,2] fits the manual, then
this dedicated section about “Patch management” also fits the manual.
If this dedicated section about “Patch management” also does not fit the
manual, then [1,2] neither. :-)

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Documentation>
2: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Using-TeX-and-LaTeX>

Cheers,
simon