Subject: Re: bug#58774: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly

From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 23:16:15 +0200

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:
> Browser like EWW, being able to accept content types, should give to
> user the option to decide if to open PDF file by integrated PDF viewer
> or any external PDF viewer, or to download the file, or to open the
> file by user's customized function, mode or program.

I’m not sure why you keep pressing for this: people agreed that enabling
users to configure that (as long as it’s not the default) is a good
idea. There’s no discussion there.

Your reply was to Max saying that this must not be the default, and that
using "safe" as part of the function name is a bad idea.

> Is there much of difference of opening Org file by using EWW or
> sending link to Org file to be downloaded and THEN opened by Emacs?

There is a difference, yes: A browser only opens inline what is deemed
safe with the session-data. PDFs are only opened with pdf.js (more
restricted compared to a pdf reader). Javascript is heavily restricted
(with good reason).

Opening org-files clicked in eww directly with org-mode is like opening
a spreadsheet with active fields inline in the browser, so a rogue
formula can steal the session of your banking login.

> That is not business of web server, HTTP or browser. Those are
> delivery, retrieval and presentation tools

Yet there is so such separation between eww and org-mode.

If you want that separation, you have to open the org-file in a second
Emacs process.

If you don’t want that separation, you have to add other precautions.

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,
ohne es zu merken.
draketo.de