Subject: Re: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly

From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 17:02:18 +0200

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

> This wish request is related to Emacs EWW and Org mode.
>
> Please make EWW recognize Org file when served by WWW server. Currently
> it does not recognize the MIME type text/x-org and opens the file as
> text, it does not invoke the org mode. In my opinion, it should.

This sounds dangerous. Org mode can execute untrusted code, so this
could trick people into running untrusted code with the permissions of
their Emacs.

Links in org-mode can run shell scripts. Yes, they usually ask, but this
may be changed it a local Emacs, trusting that it will only be used to
open trusted local files.

The threat model of eww changes a lot when any file on the web can
request being opened with org-mode.

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,
ohne es zu merken.
draketo.de