Subject: Re: bug#58774: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 23:07:27 -0700

Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:

> The "problem" with shell links you are describing is a question of
> setting variables and is also disabled by default.
>
> eww-mode, when loading Org page, could simply set
> org-link-shell-confirm-function to its default value.

Note that with the suggested feature, any link you follow risks being
loaded in Org mode, before the user even has a chance to inspect the
file.  Which Org features, currently existing or introduced in the
future, would EWW have to add workarounds for?

It is very hard to foresee which parts of Org will be problematic and
have to be disabled.  See the security vulnerability in enriched-mode
that prompted the release of Emacs 25.3, for example.

Adding this opens a can of worms that will expose unsuspecting users to
a whole class of new problems.  And the only benefit is to save some
users from having to type "M-x org-mode RET", or adding call to a
suitable hook.

All in all, this seems like a bad trade-off.  So I don't think we should
add such a feature.