Subject: bug#58774: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly

From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 13:13:29 +0200

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

> * Jean Louis <[email-masked]> [2022-10-25 15:14]:
>> 
>> This wish request is related to Emacs EWW and Org mode.
>> 
>> Please make EWW recognize Org file when served by WWW server. Currently
>> it does not recognize the MIME type text/x-org and opens the file as
>> text, it does not invoke the org mode. In my opinion, it should.
>
> Now is clear that main problem here is that Org advertises somewhere
> to be "text" in MIME context, while it is not, it is by default
> "application" and thus unsafe, see:
>
> Application Media Types
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6838#section-4.2.5
>
> and understand difference to:
>
> Text Media Types
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6838#section-4.2.1
>
> Thus I suggest that Org changes its MIME type and stop falsely
> claiming to be "text" in MIME context, but that content type:
> "application/x-org" become adopted, as that way it will become clear
> that it is unsafe opening Org as falsely claimed "plain" text.

You are mixing up text/plain and text/*. Orgmode is clearly text/* but
not text/plain. From your link:

   Beyond plain text, there are many formats for representing what might
   be known as "rich text".  An interesting characteristic of many such
   representations is that they are to some extent readable even without
   the software that interprets them.  It is useful to distinguish them,
   at the highest level, from such unreadable data as images, audio, or
   text represented in an unreadable form.  In the absence of
   appropriate interpretation software, it is reasonable to present
   subtypes of "text" to the user, while it is not reasonable to do so
   with most non-textual data.  Such formatted textual data can be
   represented using subtypes of "text".

Best wishes,
Arne
-- 
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,
ohne es zu merken.
draketo.de