Subject: bug#58771: 29.0.50; context submenu can not click when run emacs lucid build.

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 11:40:39 +0200

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 16:20:08 +0800 Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I've done only elementary debugging with gdb and never from a different
>> machine, so I will need explicit instructions for how to set it up and
>> what to enter, and if it's not straightforward, I probably can't do it
>> soon.
>>
>> But there may be a (for me) quicker way to investigate the issue: I'm in
>> the process of building a new system on this machine, which is an
>> updated version of my current system (on a different partition), and one
>> of the first programs I built after installing the basic system is
>> Emacs, first before installing X, then again with X but before
>> installing GTK.  On this system, the X build used the Lucid toolkit, and
>> with it I did not observe the menu problems I described.  Aside from
>> different versions of system libraries like glibc and build tools like
>> gcc, the two builds differ in their Emacs-specific configurations.  The
>> build with the menu problems used
>>
>>  configure -C --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xinput2 CFLAGS='-Og -g3'
>>
>> while the build on the newer system without the menu problems used
>>
>>  configure -C --with-jpeg=ifavailable --with-gif=ifavailable
>> --with-tiff=ifavailable
>>
>> I'll try using the other configuration on the new system and see if that
>> makes a difference (though I probably won't get to that till this
>> evening.)
>
> The only difference I can think of in that case is which Athena widgets
> variant is used, since XInput 2 is now enabled by default.  What do the
> scroll bars look like in either of those builds?

I can't check right now because I'm on the older system and need to do
work there.  But it occurred to it that I can try compiling the Lucid
build here as I did on the new system, i.e. only --with-x-toolkit=lucid,
and it still has the menu problems, so the build configuration does not
account for the difference.

But I also have a number of emacs executables of the Lucid build and I
found that menu problems do not occur in my build from commit
177811ac0c0e5e41d4f661e8e5553e46f0019b9a (Sept 2) but do occur in my
next build, from commit c6fc00f5d75a28fd4e99050ccc1af9ad82f66b2b (Sept
15, more recently than I remembered).  In the build from Sept 2 the
context menu seems to hang for several seconds, during which there is no
response, but then it seems to work ok, as do the menu bar menus, while
the build from Sept 15 has the problems I still see now.  When I have
more time I can try bisecting.

Steve Berman