Subject: bug#58771: 29.0.50; context submenu can not click when run emacs lucid build.

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 13:48:57 +0530

Isn't this yet another duplicate of bug#57320?

[புதன் அக்டோபர் 26, 2022] Stephen Berman wrote:

> I've done only elementary debugging with gdb and never from a different
> machine, so I will need explicit instructions for how to set it up and
> what to enter, and if it's not straightforward, I probably can't do it
> soon.

I ssh'd into my laptop from my phone to do the debugging.  More info on
what I did can be found in bug#57320, and specific instructions are in
https://yhetil.org/emacs-bugs/[email-masked].  HTH.

> But there may be a (for me) quicker way to investigate the issue: I'm in
> the process of building a new system on this machine, which is an
> updated version of my current system (on a different partition), and one
> of the first programs I built after installing the basic system is
> Emacs, first before installing X, then again with X but before
> installing GTK.  On this system, the X build used the Lucid toolkit, and
> with it I did not observe the menu problems I described.  Aside from
> different versions of system libraries like glibc and build tools like
> gcc, the two builds differ in their Emacs-specific configurations.  The
> build with the menu problems used

IME, this bug goes away when you re-./configure Emacs so there's no
surprise this disappeared in your case.  It would be of help if I could
run the debug build all the time and wait for the menu bug to eventually
show up but alas it is far too slow for me to use it daily...

> [configure lines.]
> I'll try using the other configuration on the new system and see if that
> makes a difference (though I probably won't get to that till this
> evening.)

I don't think the specifics of the configuration options matter as long
as you run the Lucid build.