Subject: bug#58760: Guix System iso too big for cdrom again

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 16:27:04 +0100

close 58760
thanks

Thank you all for your responses.  But I have closed the issue (without
really trying the methods) because

Tobias writes:
> But we can go deeper if we choose to, by dropping zisofs and going for
> something like squashfs, which achieves higher compression through
> higher block sizes and better algorithms like XZ.

Probably yes, though I don’t dare writing that and

Csepp writes:
> Are there unnecessary dependencies that could be cut out?

Kind of, but only by making variant packages without the dependencies
that Maxime listed in his response, just for the installer, but it would
not be enough to get below 700MB.

Maxime writes:
> I think -Os would be worth investigating.

Yes, that would be easiest, though looking at --tune, I guess making
variant base packages with -Os just for the installer is not worth the
complexity since cdroms are a niche use-case.

It would be possible, so maybe I shouldn’t have closed, but maybe I
shouldn’t have filed the issue in the first place.

Regards,
Florian