Subject: Re: bug#58760: Guix System iso too big for cdrom again

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 20:14:35 +0200

On 24-10-2022 18:08, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> Hello Guix,
> 
> [...] The result is that most
> packages got slightly bigger and this broke the camel’s back.  From what
> Tobias (Cc) wrote, he used the highest compression settings.
> 
> So it seems nothing can be done to make the install iso smaller than
> 700MB and [...]

IIUC, (C) packages in Guix are often compiled with -O2 (and sometimes 
without optimisation, if upstream doesn't set any flags and Guix forgets 
to set some optimisation flags manually).  I think -Os would be worth 
investigating.

 >477K	/gnu/store/2b3blhwbag1ial0dhxw7wh4zjxl0cqpk-pkg-config-0.29.2
 >2.4M 
/gnu/store/3k1h2ifn12rs9a06arpvqzrz5k7bwqm1-linux-libre-headers-5.10.35

I don't think a reference should be kept to those. Maybe it can be 
eliminated.

 >302K	/gnu/store/6ab3j98gcd02882d1jp9w6kv40fgyspf-wayland-1.20.0

Given that our installer is a TUI, this one looks surprising to me.
Likewise for cairo and opus.

Greetings,
Maxime.