Subject: Re: bug#58739: Lack of error message about number of args (?native compilation?)

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 16:04:22 +0000

On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 15:48:35 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 12:04:36 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > > to me this fix looks like a good idea (assuming changing the definition
> > > of MANY is acceptable).

> > We'll see what Eli says.

> About what, may I ask?

My patch for this bug.

As a quick summary, the cause of spurious warning messages in the byte
compiler was subr-arity returning (12 . many) rather than the correct
(12 . 12) for a native compiled function with exactly 12 parameters.

I've corrected this, by making subr-arity return (12 . 12), and I
committed the patch earlier on this afternoon.

In the process, MANY came to be defined to mean "has &rest parameters".

I think you'll be interested in the patch.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).