Subject: bug#58732: installer: finalizers & device destroy segfault

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 16:25:55 +0100

Hey,

I ran further tests and my understanding is that the weak hash-table /
finalizer mechanism is not compatible with a C function that can return
multiple times the same allocated object.

Even if we were to introduce a set-pointer-unique-finalizer! procedure
that calls scm_i_set_finalizer instead of scm_i_add_finalizer we would
still have double free errors because the finalizers are registered on
SCM pointers and not on libparted C pointers when calling
GC_REGISTER_FINALIZER_NO_ORDER.

I tested it out and I had several SCM pointers encapsulating the same
libparted C pointer, thus multiple finalizers on the same underlying C
pointer.

Anyway, here is a patch that solves the issue by removing the device
finalizer. It also means that all devices are persisted until the end of
the program which doesn't feel right, but I cannot think of a better
solution.

Let me know if you agree with my reasoning :)

Thanks,

Mathieu
>From 066220a75c020b818aab9c2f5c3a7db835fa871a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 16:12:52 +0100
Subject: [PATCH 1/1] Remove the finalizer on device pointers.

Fixes: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/58732>

* parted/device.scm (%device-destroy): Remove it.
(pointer->device!): Do not set a finalizer.
---
 parted/device.scm | 25 ++++++++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 14 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

diff --git a/parted/device.scm b/parted/device.scm
index 56a774b..be7f0ac 100644
--- a/parted/device.scm
+++ b/parted/device.scm
@@ -43,20 +43,23 @@
             device-get-minimum-alignment
             device-get-optimum-alignment))
 
-;; Record all devices, so that pointer finalizers are only set once,
-;; even if get-device returns an already known pointer.  Use the
-;; pointer as key and the associated <device> as value.
-(define %devices (make-weak-value-hash-table))
-
-(define %device-destroy
-  (libparted->pointer "ped_device_destroy"))
-
+;; Record all devices, so that we do not end up with different <device>
+;; objects aliasing the same underlying C pointer. Use the pointer as key and
+;; the associated <device> as value.
+(define %devices (make-hash-table))
+
+;; %DEVICES was a weak hash-table and we used to set a finalizer on POINTER.
+;; This is inevitably causing double free issues for the following reason:
+;;
+;; When <device> goes out of scope and is removed from the %DEVICES table, the
+;; finalizer that is set on the underlying C pointer is still registered but
+;; possibly not called as finalization happens is a separate thread.  If a
+;; subsequent call to ped_device_get returns the same C pointer, another
+;; finalizer will be registered.  This means that the finalization function
+;; can be called twice on the same pointer, causing a double free issue.
 (define (pointer->device! pointer)
-  ;; Check if a finalizer is already registered for this pointer.
   (or (hash-ref %devices pointer)
       (let ((device (pointer->device pointer)))
-        ;; Contrary to its name, this "adds" a finalizer.
-        (set-pointer-finalizer! pointer %device-destroy)
         (hash-set! %devices pointer device)
         device)))
 
-- 
2.38.0