Subject: 29.0.50; Dired fails to operate on files with newline charachters in name

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 17:39:12 +0000

If I create a file in the shell using

   $ touch "one
   two"
   $ ls
   'one'$'\n''two'

and try to open this directory using Dired, I get the following

    -rw-r--r--. 1 philip philip    0 Oct 20 19:37 one
  two

where the "t" in two is highlighted.  If I try to mark the file and
delete it, Dired attempts to delete the file "one", that luckily doesn't
exist.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 18, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-10-18 built on rhea
Repository revision: 65fa87329ce577d1ee907c0716b48aac8c0d7d27
Repository branch: feature/package+vc
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK
JPEG JSON LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-message-citation-mode: t
  autocrypt-mode: t
  mml-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  vertico-multiform-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: yas--auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-inspector/inspector hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/inspector-0.8/inspector
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-inspector/inspector-tests hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/inspector-0.8/inspector-tests
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/flymake-proselint/flymake-proselint hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/flymake-proselint-0.3.0/flymake-proselint
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/transient
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/xref-1.5.1/xref hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/progmodes/xref

Features:
(shadow emacsbug rect avy pulse bug-reference shortdoc so-long
geiser-mode geiser-xref geiser-compile geiser-debug transient edmacro
geiser-imenu geiser-chibi geiser-guile info-look geiser geiser-repl
geiser-image geiser-capf geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-edit etags
fileloop geiser-completion geiser-autodoc geiser-eval geiser-connection
tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-log geiser-popup view gnus-cus gnus-demon
gnus-diary nndiary gnus-draft gnus-dup gnus-fun gnus-html url-cache
gnus-kill gnus-logic gnus-mh mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus mh-e mh-buffers
mh-loaddefs gnus-registry registry eieio-base rmailsum rmail gnus-salt
gnus-topic gnus-uu yenc gnus-vm xref tramp-cmds consult-vertico consult
compat-28 kmacro bookmark modus-vivendi-theme mailalias smtpmail
autocrypt-message ecomplete flow-fill mm-archive qp ietf-drums-date
mule-util smiley gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
disp-table autocrypt-gnus autocrypt nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder epa-file
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache sort flymake-proselint mhtml-mode css-mode
color js imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs sgml-mode facemenu ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda org-refile
ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox copyright char-fold misearch
multi-isearch vc-fossil vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
sh-script smie executable vc-backup quail org-element avl-tree generator
ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs orderless vertico-directory
vertico-flat dired-aux autorevert filenotify buffer-env compat noutline
outline checkdoc flymake-proc flymake warnings yasnippet-snippets
cl-extra yasnippet flyspell ispell init auth-source-pass repeat project
battery dbus xml shell-command+ thingatpt dired-x dired dired-loaddefs
time sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr finder-inf diff-hl-flydiff diff
diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc hippie-exp winner windmove
corfu-history corfu vertico-multiform vertico elec-pair tramp-cache
time-stamp tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
cus-edit pp icons files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit
saveplace savehist pixel-scroll cua-base xt-mouse modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes cus-load setup site-lisp auto-site compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color loaddefs-gen
ef-themes-autoloads objed-autoloads xr-autoloads consult-autoloads
corfu-autoloads focus-autoloads vertico-autoloads eglot-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads debbugs-autoloads rcirc-color-autoloads
inspector-autoloads flylisp-autoloads flymake-proselint-autoloads
geiser-guile-autoloads xref-autoloads vc-fossil-autoloads
diff-hl-autoloads crdt-autoloads embark-autoloads auctex-autoloads
tex-site magit-autoloads buffer-env-autoloads compat-autoloads
geiser-chibi-autoloads geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree help-mode
geiser-custom geiser-base ring geiser-autoloads slime-autoloads
transient-autoloads info vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode package-vc pcase
xdg vc vc-dispatcher lisp-mnt rx package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 839432 111206)
 (symbols 48 45851 16)
 (strings 32 188119 14683)
 (string-bytes 1 5658345)
 (vectors 16 111467)
 (vector-slots 8 2196651 76700)
 (floats 8 732 680)
 (intervals 56 7780 643)
 (buffers 1000 41))