Subject: 29.0.50; Long lines in *compilation* buffer

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 11:05:41 +0200

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6 (Build 21G115)) of 2022-09-21 built on
 Mini.fritz.box
Repository revision: 1231a601ebe1fd9fe454c504dbeb9267440242e7
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6

Configured using:
 'configure --cache-file /Users/gerd/tmp/config.cache.master
 --with-native-compilation'

I did not find an easer way to reproduce this, sorry for that.

Configure Emacs with:

  ./configure --disable-silent-rules

so that compilation commands are shown in full.

Introduce something producing a warning or error in the C code, for
example in lisp.h.

Then do a full parallel build of Emacs (-j8 here).  This produces, on my
system, lines invoking gcc which are ca. 2000 chars wide.  These lines
are by default displayed with a [...].

Bug:

The errors or warnings appear sometimes truncated. For example, the file
name of the error message is not displayed.  Clicking on the [...]  does
not change that.  (And with the truncated messages, next-error cannot
work, ...)

I have no idea what that might be, so I'm just mentioning anything that
might be relevant, such as the parallel build.