Subject: bug#58653: closed (Re: bug#58653: 29.0.50; Long lines in *compilation* buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 14:38:03 +0000

Your bug report

#58653: 29.0.50; Long lines in *compilation* buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58653: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58653
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58653: 29.0.50; Long lines in *compilation* buffer
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 16:37:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 15:15:05 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 03.11.22 15:13, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Great, so can we close this bug?
> 
> Yes, I've done that now.

Doesn't look like it, but this message will.

Subject: 29.0.50; Long lines in *compilation* buffer
From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 11:05:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6 (Build 21G115)) of 2022-09-21 built on
 Mini.fritz.box
Repository revision: 1231a601ebe1fd9fe454c504dbeb9267440242e7
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6

Configured using:
 'configure --cache-file /Users/gerd/tmp/config.cache.master
 --with-native-compilation'

I did not find an easer way to reproduce this, sorry for that.

Configure Emacs with:

  ./configure --disable-silent-rules

so that compilation commands are shown in full.

Introduce something producing a warning or error in the C code, for
example in lisp.h.

Then do a full parallel build of Emacs (-j8 here).  This produces, on my
system, lines invoking gcc which are ca. 2000 chars wide.  These lines
are by default displayed with a [...].

Bug:

The errors or warnings appear sometimes truncated. For example, the file
name of the error message is not displayed.  Clicking on the [...]  does
not change that.  (And with the truncated messages, next-error cannot
work, ...)

I have no idea what that might be, so I'm just mentioning anything that
might be relevant, such as the parallel build.