Subject: 28.1: Possibly obsolete function `flymake-display-err-menu-for-current-line' in Emacs manual

From: Mark Harig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 23:49:38 +0000 (UTC)

In the Emacs manual, in the sub-section `(emacs) Flymake',
there is the following sentence:

   To display any error messages associated with the current
   line, type ‘M-x flymake-display-err-menu-for-current-line’.

But M-x flymake-display-err-menu-for-current-line says that there
are no matches for that function.  Likewise, a search of the file
`flymake.el' that is included with Emacs 28.1 shows no definition
for the identifier `flymake-display-err-menu-for-current-line'.

A search of Emacs NEWS back to version 22 (when `flymake' was
added) does not show any mention of
`flymake-display-err-menu-for-current-line' becoming obsolete,
but it appears to be.

In the Flymake user manual, in the sub-section `(flymake) Finding
diagnostics', there is the following paragraph:

   Sometimes it is useful to have a detailed overview of the
   diagnostics in your files without having to jump to each one.
   The commands `flymake-show-buffer-diagnostics' and
   `flymake-show-project-diagnostics' are designed to handle this
   situation.  When invoked, they bring up a separate buffer
   containing a detailed structured listing of multiple diagnostics
   in the current buffer or for the current project, respectively
   (*note (emacs)Projects::).

In NEWS file for Emacs 28.1, `flymake-show-project-diagnostics'
is listed as a new command.  Both that function and
`flymake-show-buffer-diagnostics' work and might be the
replacements for the obsolete function.

(End of report.)