Subject: Re: bug#5863: defadvice in byte compiled file does not work

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:57:17 +0200

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It looks like the defadvice is simply skipped the other times (but I
>> am not sure).
>
> widen has its own byte code.  Advices also never work on direct calls to
> builtin functions.

Thanks Andreas, but what does it mean that it has its own byte code?
Why is it important here?

Reading (info "(elisp) Advising Primitives") it looks to me that it
should work in those cases I want it to work since the calls to
"(widen)" I want to intercept are in elisp code. That info page says

  "Calls to the primitive from Lisp code
    will take note of the advice."

It looks to me like a regression, but I am not quite sure. I am just
trying to find out but it takes me some minutes.