Subject: 24.0.50; French quotation marks used in a German manner in tex-mode

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 15:12:59 +0200

Hello!

In GNU Emacs' own tex-mode French double-quotes are not interpreted  
and fontified correctly, and so is the text between (and outside of)  
them:

\begin{document}
\hyphenated{%
Wir sagten ihm: »Erzähle uns doch, warum du kein Sirbadj essen willst?«
Der Hauswirt aber sagte ihm: »Ich schwöre bei diesem und jenem, du musst
Sirbadj essen.« Er erwiderte dann: »Es gibt keinen Schutz und keine  
Macht,
außer bei Gott dem Erhabenen; wenn es sein muss, so will ich meine Hand
vierzigmal mit Wasser, vierzigmal mit Seife und vierzigmal mit Salzen,  
im
ganzen hundertundzwanzigmal waschen.«%
}
\end{document}

Here the Frech quotes are used in a German manner, i.e., » starts the  
quotation and « ends it. Maybe it's better when this mode tries to  
determine which quotation mark comes first instead of assuming that «  
always comes first, followed by a final ». http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark,_non-English_usage 
  gives some explanation and examples.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
of 2010-04-01 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.10800000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--without-gconf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--x- 
libraries=/opt/local/lib' '--x-includes=/opt/local/include' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g -H -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC  
-mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'LDFLAGS=-dead_strip - 
multiply_defined suppress' 'CC=gcc-4.2' 'CPP=cpp-4.2'  
'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/share/pkgconfig:/ 
usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/share/pkgconfig:/usr/ 
local/clamXav/lib/pkgconfig''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  view-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x d L i b <tab> t e x m
<tab> A r b <tab> <return> <escape> < s <help-echo>
<down> <down> <down> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
v y <end> <escape> > <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Please type y, n, or !:
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Mark set

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
emacsbug tex-mode compile shell comint ring view dired regexp-opt
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)

--
Greetings

  Pete

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.