Subject: Re: bug#58608: 29.0.50; Nasty bug with pasting primary selection in term buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:17:39 +0200

> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 03:28:25 +1300
> From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], "Richard M. Stallman" <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 2023-03-15 01:46, Phil Sainty wrote:
> > when the command was pasting from the kill ring the
> > (setq this-command 'yank) call would have made sense
> 
> On second thought, I'm not sure it made any sense then either -- that
> "paste" was still sending the text to the inferior process rather than
> inserting it into the buffer, and it's entirely up to the process as
> to whether anything at all gets inserted into the buffer as a result,
> so I don't think of that as a `yank' as far as Emacs is concerned.
> 
> (I'd still hazard a guess that (setq this-command 'yank) was added on
> account of dealing with the kill ring, but perhaps it was just a mistake
> all along.)

Thanks for all the forensics.

I think we should install on emacs-29 a change that binds
select-active-regions to nil around the call to term-send-raw-string,
and install on master a change that removes the setting of
this-command.