Subject: Re: bug#58608: 29.0.50; Nasty bug with pasting primary selection in term buffers

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 16:22:32 +1300

> In line mode middle click calls `mouse-yank-primary'

I realised I should look at this as well, and sure enough it has
some handling for `select-active-regions':

(defun mouse-yank-primary (click)
   "Insert the primary selection at the position clicked on.
Move point to the end of the inserted text, and set mark at
beginning.  If `mouse-yank-at-point' is non-nil, insert at point
regardless of where you click."
   (interactive "e")
   ;; Give temporary modes such as isearch a chance to turn off.
   (run-hooks 'mouse-leave-buffer-hook)
   ;; Without this, confusing things happen upon e.g. inserting into
   ;; the middle of an active region.
   (when select-active-regions
     (let (select-active-regions)
       (deactivate-mark)))
   (or mouse-yank-at-point (mouse-set-point click))
   (let ((primary (gui-get-primary-selection)))
     (push-mark)
     (insert-for-yank primary)))

The call to (mouse-set-point click) is also conditional here:

(or mouse-yank-at-point (mouse-set-point click))

As opposed to:

(defun term-mouse-paste (click)
   "Insert the primary selection at the position clicked on."
   (interactive "e")
   ;; Give temporary modes such as isearch a chance to turn off.
   (run-hooks 'mouse-leave-buffer-hook)
   (setq this-command 'yank)
   (mouse-set-point click)
   (term-send-raw-string (gui-get-primary-selection)))

I don't know if `mouse-yank-at-point' needs consideration here too?

I wondered whether both of these could be rewritten to use a common
subroutine, but it might be a bit awkward.  Failing that, I would
cross-reference them in code comments (are there any other similar
functions besides?).