Subject: Re: [bug#58587] [PATCH 00/14] Introducing pyproject-build-system.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 11:33:00 +0200

Hi Marius,

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 at 22:06, Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is an adaptation of Lars' work in wip-python-pep517 for 'master'.

Cool!

> I've implemented it as a separate build system so we can do a slow
> transition, starting at the leafs.

[...]

> I plan to eventually merge it with python-build-system instead of
> keeping it separate.  Thoughts?

I would suggest to have a clear plan about this transition strategy. :-)
I mean, if we go to two separated Python build-systems and then merge
them, we have to write down the various steps; otherwise it could be
quickly a mess.

For example,

 1. advertise about this new Python build-system
 2. recommend only this new
 3. only include package using this new
 4. convert from old to new
 5. remove old / rename old to new

or whatever else.  My concern is to have two build systems to maintain
on the long term.

Once something lands to master and the API, it is then hard to modify.
Therefore, it appears to me better to draw beforehand the large lines of
this transition plan.

Cheers,
simon