Subject: Re: [bug#58587] [PATCH 00/14] Introducing pyproject-build-system.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 09:10:26 -0400

Hi Marius,

I've yet to delve into the actual patches (I intend to do so shortly),
but here's a quick reply to your last message.

[...]

> I've now added a section in the manual about API changes and stability,
> and removed more duplicate code from pyproject-build-system.  I also
> added a news entry.
>
> I think this is now ready for merge, but have some concerns:
>
> * The python-toolchain package is a union that includes setuptools,
>   wheel and others.  Packages that pick up a reference to the build-time
>   Python will needlessly include those other packages.  It could be
>   worked around by propagating instead of using a union.

That could be better, yes.  They may still be picked up in wrap phases,
but that's a Guix-wide problem (can't tell between native vs regular
inputs on the build side when native compiling).

> * Overriding #:test-flags means having to add back the implicit defaults
>   for verbose output.  We could add them even when #:test-flags is
>   present so users don't need to add "-vv" manually.

This is handled for Emacs packages by having a %default-test-flags or
similar that users can cons to... but it's still very too easy to
forget.  Perhaps we should gradually move to most arguments "extending"
the defaults rather than completely overriding them; such an idea was
discussed for example for the #:modules and #:imported-modules arguments
recently.

>
> I will merge this in a few days if there are no further comments.  It
> can still be tweaked directly on 'master' if necessary.
>
> Updated patches follow shortly.

I'll try to have a quick look now, as I see this hasn't landed yet.
Thank you for picking up this series!

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim