Subject: [bug#58583] [PATCH 0/1] scripts: package: Forbid installation of the guix package.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 11:03:56 -0400

Hi Simon,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Euh, why is it going against the spirit of the naming rules?  All Guile
> packages are prefixed by ’guile-’, as Haskell by ’ghc-’, as R by ’r-’,
> etc.
>
> And for instance, the package ’python-nose’ provides ’bin/nosetests’.
> Idem for ’python-pylint’ and ’bin/pylint’; for the two I quickly found.

Referring to info '(guix) Package Naming', that doesn't seem to be a
written rule; my rule of thumb here would be: if something exists to be
used exclusively as a command, drop the language-specific prefix.  If it
is a library or both a library and a command, keep the prefix.  In
doubt, keep the prefix.

So supposing 'git' was implemented in Python, it'd still be called
'git', not 'python-git'.  pylint could/should probably be named
"pylint", but perhaps it's also usable as a Python library, I haven't
checked.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim