Subject: Re: [bug#58583] [PATCH 0/1] scripts: package: Forbid installation of the guix package.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 09:44:49 +0200

Hi Maxim,

On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 at 16:04, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> +    (report-error (G_ "the 'guix' package should not be installed~%"))
>>
>> Instead of an error, I would prefer a warning.  Because, sometimes it is
>> useful to have this Guix library. :-)
>
> The Guix API would be available without having to 'guix install guix' in
> the first place, no?

Not necessary or I am missing something.  For instance, you want to
build some Guile application relying on the Guix library; similarly as
you have, say, guile-commonmark or any other Guile packages.

Yes, it is possible to do without installing the package guix but it is
not handy.  Aside, it is not always clear which revision of the API is
available when the package guix fixes it.

For instance, if an user packs their Guile application using some other
Guile libraries including the Guix library, then for developing, it
becomes not possible to just locally create a profile.

Well, I do not have a strong opinion on that, for what it is worth, I
would prefer a strong warning instead of an hard error.  But maybe I am
missing something.

Cheers,
simon