Subject: Re: bug#58580: 29.0.50; Ahead-of-time compilation for a few more files?

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 07:33:47 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> However, now we are saying that having some files precompiled is more
>> convenient, as it makes the first startup of a newly built/installed
>> Emacs faster and smoother.  (It only affects the first startup after
>> building a new version.)  So the motivation is different, but I don't
>> see why the same solution couldn't satisfy this one as well.  After
>> all, the solution is solid and tested by 2 releases.
>
> I'm not 100% sure I understand -- by "solution" here, you mean
> COMPILE_FIRST?

The quick fix on 28 was to compile AOT those files, using jit
compilation was causing as Eli mentioned some circular dependency
issues.

The fix that solves those issues is
9b381a95ef6cd9194d64bfb17fd50bb99fa6cd32 (and this is only on master).
In 29 we are free to compile AOT those files or not, the infrastructure
was made robust to handle that.

  Andrea