Subject: bug#58580: 29.0.50; Ahead-of-time compilation for a few more files?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 21:35:31 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> However, now we are saying that having some files precompiled is more
> convenient, as it makes the first startup of a newly built/installed
> Emacs faster and smoother.  (It only affects the first startup after
> building a new version.)  So the motivation is different, but I don't
> see why the same solution couldn't satisfy this one as well.  After
> all, the solution is solid and tested by 2 releases.

I'm not 100% sure I understand -- by "solution" here, you mean
COMPILE_FIRST?

>> But I guess we'd have to introduce a new mechanism for this, like
>> COMPILE_ELN_EXTRA or something, if we want to AOT them anyway?
>
> Why not use the same mechanism?

Because it's slower to do eln compilation in COMPILE_FIRST -- it's
faster later, once Emacs has been built with nativecomp.  So these extra
eln bits should be done around the same time as compile-main, or rather:
During compile-main, so that we get max parallelism, too.