Subject: bug#58580: 29.0.50; Ahead-of-time compilation for a few more files?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:11:22 +0200

I wonder whether we should AOT a few more files by default.  I think we
should probably aim for a typical user not seeing compilation firing off
on normal usage, but what's "normal usage" anyway?

In any case, "emacs -Q" and then `C-x C-b' gives me this:

Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-lib.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-extra.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/help-mode.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/gv.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-seq.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/rx.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/subr-x.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/emacs-lisp/warnings.el...
Compiling /home/larsi/src/emacs/nativecomp/lisp/display-line-numbers.el...
Compilation finished.

This suggests to me that we should AOT a bunch of these libraries
(rx/subr-x/etc) by default that are virtually impossible to use Emacs
without.

Any opinions?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 162, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-16 built on downe
Repository revision: 45aabe6edae8d841a8985853394baddad4a1949e
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS