Subject: [bug#58569] [PATCH] gnu packages gnome-console: Remove nautilus extension

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 10:18:08 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 16.10.2022 um 19:34 +0200 schrieb Mája Tomášek:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> this patch removes the gnome-console nautilus extension as it crashes
> nautilus (at least on my machine).
I can confirm it working as intended on at least two separate machines,
both configured 

> In my opinion it is safe to remove it, as this
> feature is implemented directly into nautilus-43 and the original
> code is purged from the gnome-console repo. (see
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/merge_requests/911 and
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/console/-/commit/c4bd2312f4b432a33810a8dcdf3cadabae5169d7
> )
> 
> This sadly means, that in nautilus-42 there will be no "Open in
> Console", but the issue is on some code that is already deprecated in
> the Console repo. (I have studied gdb info and it appears that
> kgx_nautilus_get_background_items() returns a GList* that is { .next
> = NULL, .prev = NULL, .data = NULL } but nautilus does only perform a
> check that GList* is NULL, otherwise it expects a valid list)
> 
> I can maybe supply a patch to gnome-console, but I don't see a reason
> to.
In my opinion, it'd be better to find out why it crashes in the first
place.  See [1] for the breaking code.  My suspicion is that item ends
up NULL, which would be big if true.

Cheers

[1]
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/console/-/blob/42.2/nautilus/kgx-nautilus.c#L48