Subject: bug#5855: 23.1.95; OS X file drag-and-drop inserts into current buffer

From: Robin Dunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:46:37 -0700

When dragging a text file from Finder and dropping in an Emacs window
the contents of the file are inserted into the current buffer near the
drop point instead of making a new buffer for the file.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.95.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
  of 2010-04-03 on black.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' 
'--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 
'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: nil
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: nil
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   delete-selection-mode: t
   pc-selection-mode: t
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <f6>
<ns-drag-file> M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g
<return>

Recent messages:
Loading psvn...done
Loading projects...
Loading desktop...done
Loading projects...done
Loading /Users/robind/elisp/my.emacs.el (source)...done
Loading isearch...done
Loading pc-select...done
Toggling font-lock-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
/Users/robind/elisp/whitespace hides 
/Applications/MyApps/Editors/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/whitespace
/Users/robind/elisp/table hides 
/Applications/MyApps/Editors/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/table
/Users/robind/elisp/zone hides 
/Applications/MyApps/Editors/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/play/zone

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash mail-utils emacsbug delsel pc-select cus-start cus-load desktop
psvn wid-edit log-edit ring pcvs-util add-log diff-mode easy-mmode
vc-svn cl cl-19 whitespace autorevert cua-base speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe assoc table paren disp-table misc tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)