Subject: Re: bug#58547: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Fix one internal naming

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 17:28:10 +0300

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 16:02:00 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Right.  But still: I'm not against renaming them, if we find a better,
> > more general name.
> 
> Why not.  In fact (and FTR), I wanted to rename this function because it
> is strangely similar to the function `x_menu_bar_height' that I have
> introduced in bug#58515.  So maybe, one day, the menu_line could become
> one those "mode lines", WDYT?

That's possible, yes.

The existing ones are similar in that they use
mode/header/tab-line-format, and that one supports certain special
constructs that are implemented in the subroutines called by
mode_line_height.  So if the menu-bar will come close to supporting
the same features, it would make sense to try to add it to the group,
indeed.