Subject: bug#58546: 29.0.50; Customizing 'message-server-alist' fails with backtrace

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:26:19 +0000

When I evaluate this in emacs -Q:

    (progn (require 'message)
           (customize-option 'message-server-alist))

It fails with this backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nil)
  nil((quote :args ((choice (string :tag "From Address") (function
:tag "Predicate")))))
  widget-copy((quote :args ((choice (string :tag "From Address")
(function :tag "Predicate")))))
  widget-types-copy((cons :format "%v" :args ((quote :args ((choice
(string :tag "From Address") (function :tag "Predicate")))) (quote
:args (string)))))
  widget-copy((cons :format "%v" :args ((quote :args ((choice (string
:tag "From Address") (function :tag "Predicate")))) (quote :args
(string)))))
  widget-types-copy((editable-list :inline t :args ((cons :format "%v"
:args ((quote :args ((choice ... ...))) (quote :args (string)))))))
  widget-copy((editable-list :inline t :args ((cons :format "%v" :args
((quote :args ((choice ... ...))) (quote :args (string)))))))
  widget-create-child-value((alist :key-type '(choice (string :tag
"From Address") (function :tag "Predicate")) :value-type 'string :args
((editable-list :inline t :args ((cons :format "%v" :args ((quote
:args ...) (quote :args ...)))))) :value nil :parent (custom-variable
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag #("Message Server
Alist" 0 20 (custom-data message-server-alist)) :value
message-server-alist :custom-form edit) :indent 0 :sample-overlay
#<overlay from 282 to 287 in *Customize Option: Message Server
Alist*>) (editable-list :inline t :args ((cons :format "%v" :args
((quote :args ((choice ... ...))) (quote :args (string)))))) nil)
  widget-group-value-create((alist :key-type '(choice (string :tag
"From Address") (function :tag "Predicate")) :value-type 'string :args
((editable-list :inline t :args ((cons :format "%v" :args ((quote
:args ...) (quote :args ...)))))) :value nil :parent (custom-variable
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag #("Message Server
Alist" 0 20 (custom-data message-server-alist)) :value
message-server-alist :custom-form edit) :indent 0 :sample-overlay
#<overlay from 282 to 287 in *Customize Option: Message Server
Alist*>))
  widget-default-create((alist :key-type '(choice (string :tag "From
Address") (function :tag "Predicate")) :value-type 'string :args
((editable-list :inline t :args ((cons :format "%v" :args ((quote
:args ...) (quote :args ...)))))) :value nil :parent (custom-variable
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag #("Message Server
Alist" 0 20 (custom-data message-server-alist)) :value
message-server-alist :custom-form edit) :indent 0 :sample-overlay
#<overlay from 282 to 287 in *Customize Option: Message Server
Alist*>))
  widget-create-child-and-convert((custom-variable
:documentation-shown t :custom-state unknown :tag #("Message Server
Alist" 0 20 (custom-data message-server-alist)) :value
message-server-alist :custom-form edit) (alist :key-type '(choice
(string :tag "From Address") (function :tag "Predicate")) :value-type
'string) :value nil)
  custom-variable-value-create((custom-variable :documentation-shown t
:custom-state unknown :tag #("Message Server Alist" 0 20 (custom-data
message-server-alist)) :value message-server-alist :custom-form edit))
  widget-default-create((custom-variable :documentation-shown t
:custom-state unknown :tag #("Message Server Alist" 0 20 (custom-data
message-server-alist)) :value message-server-alist :custom-form edit))
  widget-create(custom-variable :documentation-shown t :custom-state
unknown :tag #("Message Server Alist" 0 20 (custom-data
message-server-alist)) :value message-server-alist)
  #<subr F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_44>((message-server-alist
custom-variable))
  custom-buffer-create-internal(((message-server-alist custom-variable)))
  custom-buffer-create(((message-server-alist custom-variable))
#("*Customize Option: Message Server Alist*" 19 39 (custom-data
message-server-alist)))
  customize-option(message-server-alist)
  (progn (require 'message) (customize-option 'message-server-alist))
  (progn (progn (require 'message) (customize-option 'message-server-alist)))
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-10-15 built on joffe
Repository revision: 0227e4eb7584657cb6e7e558d24645e6168a9bb6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: sv_SE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug cl-print byte-opt debug
backtrace find-func message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load wid-edit thingatpt help-fns radix-tree cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 128296 6529)
 (symbols 48 9277 0)
 (strings 32 25831 1201)
 (string-bytes 1 786198)
 (vectors 16 18517)
 (vector-slots 8 366989 19222)
 (floats 8 59 35)
 (intervals 56 2205 68)
 (buffers 1000 15))