Subject: bug#58545: closed (Re: bug#58545: 28.2; Toolbar icons missing until X server is restarted)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 20:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#58545: 28.2; Toolbar icons missing until X server is restarted

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
58545: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58545
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58545: 28.2; Toolbar icons missing until X server is restarted
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Xuanrui Qi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 12:12:11 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Xuanrui Qi <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please mark this bug as resolved.

Done.

Subject: 28.2; Toolbar icons missing until X server is restarted
From: Xuanrui Qi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 17:37:00 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When running Emacs, initially I see no icons on the toolbar, only
text ("save", "undo", etc). However, if I restart my X server by e.g. pressing
Alt-F2 and then
typing "r" under GDM, the icons appear correctly on the toolbar.

I have not been able to fix this problem even by reinstalling Emacs and
clearing all Emacs configuration files, and I could not reproduce it on
any other systems I control either, even though they are very similarly
configured.

I am not sure if this is a Emacs problem, but I don't see any missing
icons in other GTK applications.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo
version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-09-12 built on frederik
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-native-compilation
 --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt
 -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  projectile-rails-global-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/xuanrui/.opam/4.14.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune
/home/xuanrui/.opam/4.14.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune-watch hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune-watch
/home/xuanrui/.opam/4.14.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune-flymake hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dune-flymake

Features:
(pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail server company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb company-robe merlin-xref merlin-cap merlin advice
opam-user-setup company-auctex company latex latex-flymake flymake-proc
flymake tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus xml crm texmathp lsp-haskell lsp
lsp-mode comp comp-cstr warnings lsp-protocol yasnippet xref project
tree-widget spinner pcase network-stream markdown-mode rx noutline
outline lv inline imenu ht filenotify ewoc agda2 rvm cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
mediawiki url-cache mm-url gnus nnheader wid-edit mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mail-utils
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode url-http url-auth url-gw nsm rmc
puny rime rime-predicates xdg posframe popup edmacro kmacro linum
cl-extra help-mode solarized-dark-theme solarized-palettes solarized
solarized-faces color projectile-rails rake f f-shortdoc shortdoc dash s
inflections inf-ruby ruby-mode smie autoinsert projectile lisp-mnt
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr grep
compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs thingatpt cus-load exec-path-from-shell use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
tex-site info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 546848 20553)
 (symbols 48 37959 3)
 (strings 32 148553 5641)
 (string-bytes 1 4101976)
 (vectors 16 56230)
 (vector-slots 8 941031 37082)
 (floats 8 350 140)
 (intervals 56 413 0)
 (buffers 992 13))