Subject: Re: bug#58543: 29.0.50; The 'q' key is not shown by "C-h ?"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 11:49:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> As Subject says: "C-h ?" doesn't show the 'q' key, it shows this
> instead:
>
>    M-x help-quick-or-quit 	Display the quick help buffer.
>
> This is sub-optimal, I think, and will help users who need this "quick
> help" less than it could be.
>
> Thinking about it, perhaps 'q'; should be on the first line shown by
> "C-h ?".

Hm...  It's rather confusing all over now.  All the other commands after
`C-h ?' do the same as typing the commands directly.

That is, `C-h t' shows the Emacs tutorial, and `C-h ? t' does the same.

`C-h q' shows the quick help, but `C-h ? q' doesn't -- it just exits
`help-for-help'.

But the help-for-help says that it "Display the quick help buffer.",
which is only correct when you haven't `C-h ?' first.

So this is confusing on several different levels at the same time, and I
don't know what the best fix here would be.

Perhaps Philip of Stefan has some ideas; added to the CCs.