Subject: 29.0.50; emacs cannot insert links from clipboard (macos)

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:14:15 -0400

Select text with a link on a web page.
Copy it to the clipboard.
Paste it into, say, a google doc - the link is preserved.
Paste it into Emacs (C-y) - only the text is inserted, not the link,
even in org model which can handle links.

moreover,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(mapcar (lambda (cell)
          (gui-get-selection 'CLIPBOARD (car cell)))
        selection-converter-alist)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

returns identical strings, so, apparently, emacs cannot extract text
with links on Mac.

I am away from X, so I cannot check if the same problem is present
there.

Thank you.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
 appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6 (Build 21G115)) of 2022-10-12 built on
 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: 5a94a2e5b054f6866762f6eb7f7bbafd24bf02de
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH='

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: org-auto-fill-function
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 emacsbug bug-reference
vc-annotate checkdoc lisp-mnt log-edit vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util completion mhtml-mode css-mode js sgml-mode
facemenu nndoc gnus-fun url-cache sort gnus-cite smiley mm-archive
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-dup qp mail-extr gnus-ml hl-line disp-table spam
spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg utf-7 gnus-cache bbdb-gnus network-stream
nntp sh-script smie executable tex-mode latexenc dabbrev url-http
url-auth url-gw nsm ein-jupyter ein-dev ein-notebook ein-python-send
ein-traceback ein-pytools ein-pager ein-completer ein-notification
ein-scratchsheet ein-worksheet poly-ein quail polymode poly-lock
polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat
polymode-methods polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base
color ein-kill-ring ein-cell ein-shared-output ein-output-area
ein-kernelinfo ein-kernel ein-ipdb ein-events ein-websocket websocket
bindat ein-file ein-node ein-notebooklist shortdoc ein-contents-api
ein-query ein-log ein-classes ein-core request autorevert anaphora
ein-utils deferred dash cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ein skeleton smerge-mode
diff cl-print emacs-news-mode misearch multi-isearch
display-line-numbers add-log vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cmds tramp-cache
time-stamp tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
tramp-compat shell ls-lisp remember company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-template company-cmake company-bbdb
yasnippet-snippets yasnippet flymake-proc flymake company-capf company
help-fns radix-tree elpy elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell
elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor ido hideshow grep compile
files-x etags fileloop xref cus-edit pp cus-start python project compat
compat-macs flyspell ispell display-fill-column-indicator org-element
avl-tree generator cl-extra ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif
ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 ol rx org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec cal-x view cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam
holidays holiday-loaddefs bbdb-anniv cal-iso cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian
solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs midnight warnings icons gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site
timezone modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes pcase edit-server advice
server winner ring which-func imenu edebug debug backtrace help-mode
find-func url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv url-vars help-at-pt desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-load
info bbdb-autoloads edit-server-autoloads ein-autoloads elpy-autoloads
company-autoloads fb2-reader-autoloads async-autoloads f-autoloads
dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads polymode-autoloads
request-autoloads s-autoloads websearch-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
compat-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads rmc
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 947005 123100)
 (symbols 48 44918 6)
 (strings 32 294758 18559)
 (string-bytes 1 8360903)
 (vectors 16 125944)
 (vector-slots 8 2595315 209305)
 (floats 8 1364 1340)
 (intervals 56 35137 7327)
 (buffers 1000 93))

-- 
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
https://lastingimpactpsychology.com https://steingoldpsychology.com
https://jihadwatch.org https://fairforall.org https://thereligionofpeace.com
Only the mediocre are always at their best.