Subject: Re: bug#58520: Persistent failure to DNS-lookup hostname

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 17:54:50 -0400

> Unfortunately, I only experience this intermittently.

Same here :-(

> You may be right about that but I cannot exactly prove it because
> walking while carrying my laptop with its lid open for 2 km is not going
> to be fun.  :-)

Same here :-)

Tho I don't want to leave it ON during the night or those days where
I don't use it either.

>      3 Contacting host: search.brave.com:443
>      4 search.brave.com/0 Temporary failure in name resolution
>      5 cdn.search.brave.com/0 Temporary failure in name resolution
>      6 cdn.search.brave.com/0 Temporary failure in name resolution
[...]
>     11 Contacting host: search.brave.com:443
>     12 cdn.search.brave.com/0 Temporary failure in name resolution

> Line nos. 1 and 2 are from url.el requests.  3--6 and 11--12 is from
> connection to search.brave.com from eww for an internet search.

Seems like the accesses failed just as well, so my guess is that the
only thing different with EWW is that it falls back on a cache or
something like that.

> That sounds a bit too involved for me currently.

I don't think it's necessary either.  The circumstantial evidence is
strong enough to conclude that you're seeing the same symptoms as I and
that it comes from the same source.

        Stefan