Subject: Re: bug#58513: describe-function should say that defconst variables are constant

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 16:51:57 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > And then, in a later Emacs version, we could start enforcing the
  > constness in running code.

defconst has had a subtle meaning: "It is ok to expect, in certain
limited ways, that the value will not be altered."  Nothing more.

This change may seem to be fixing a bug, but some old programs used to
take advantage of the actual old meaning.  This change might break
them.

I think that would be asking for trouble, and we have better things to
do than deal with that trouble.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)