Subject: Re: bug#5851: 24.0.50; first character after opening quote often gets eaten in CC modes

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 00:42:12 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> FWIW the bug is still present.  I get this backtrace (2011-02-19
>>> build):
>>>
>>>     (error "Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)")
>>>       signal(error ("Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)"))
>>>       byte-code(" b\210\302    @    A\"\207" [start err signal] 3)
>>>       c-syntactic-re-search-forward("[;{}]" 8510 end)
>>>       c-before-change-check-<>-operators(6462 6462)
>>>       #[(fn) "     \n\"\207" [fn beg end] 3](c-before-change-check-<>-operators)
>>>       mapc(#[(fn) "     \n\"\207" [fn beg end] 3] (c-extend-region-for-CPP c-before-change-check-<>-operators))
>>>       c-before-change(6462 6462)
>>>       self-insert-command(1)
>>>       call-interactively(self-insert-command nil nil)
>>>
>>> I cannot find a reliable way to reproduce, but it happens often
>>> enough.  Apparently, buffers not touched in quite a while are more
>>> prone.  I.e. open a C++ file and leave it alone for 5 minutes.  Then
>>> switch to the buffer and type outside any string a double quote
>>> following by any other character --- the second character will likely
>>> get eaten with an error as above.  M-x toggle-debug-on-error helps
>>> spotting it.
>>
>> Maybe this is fixed in master now, along with Bug#28850?  (the error
>> there is the same, though the backtrace is a bit different)
>
> Indeed, it looks like this has been fixed on master -- or at least I
> can't reproduce it.  Alan, what do you think?

No further comments within 6 weeks.  I'll give it a couple of more
weeks, and if no one objects within that time, I'll just assume that
this has indeed been fixed and close this bug report.

Meanwhile, if anyone has been seeing this issue, please try it on
current master to see if the issue persists, then report back your
findings.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas