Subject: bug#58509: 29.0.50; Synchronous nativecomp

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 21:40:06 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Let's wait for Andrea to chime in.

Hi Eli,

to get practical I think what Lars'd like to have is: at the end of
'maybe_swap_for_eln', in case the .eln is not found, a syncronous
invocation of the native compiler to produce and use the .eln file
(indeed only when this flag is used).

In principal as decribed it should be relatively easy, the only
technical caveat I can think of now are potential circular dependecies
generated by loading comp.el.

The comment I have is that we could have this mode capable of being used
also in interactive sessions, in case I think we should really think of
a better name for the flag, something like --native-compile-sync?  Or
anyway something that highlights the "synchronousness" of the enabled
mechanism.

Best Regards

  Andrea