Subject: Re: bug#58509: 29.0.50; Synchronous nativecomp

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 14:59:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> You missed that the --native-compile there is in no way related to the
>> -l that follows.  I.e., for instance:
>> 
>> emacs --batch --native-compile --eval '(gnus)'
>
> (There was no "--eval '(gnus)" in the original report.)

It's just an example.  Substitute with
`(calculate-the-535325th-prime-number)' or whatever.

> Just one last thing: if the intent is to tell Emacs "compile
> natively, but do that in the same Emacs session instead of in
> subprocesses", then how is this different from
> 
>   emacs --batch --batch-native-compile lisp/gnus/gnus*.el --eval '(gnus)
> 
> which is what I had in mind?

You're suggesting that users should compute with files a command will
load, then compile those, and then start the command?  That doesn't
sound like a good interface, and fortunately that's not how Emacs works
interactively.